Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Two Dollar Chair





Last summer, I purchased a chair at a local yard sale for two dollars. It was in a state of great disrepair but I just had to have it. After paying the seller his hefty price, I loaded the chair into my little suv and brought it home.

The question quickly became, "What do I do with it"?

I've always loved the look of Maine Cottage furniture but have never been able to afford to order a piece. I love the casual look of their furniture painted in bright, fresh, summery colors. I thought this might be a perfect piece to experiment with and the results were fantastic!

Mike sanded the chair and re glued a couple of loose places for me. He primed the chair and spray painted it a lovely shade of lavender but somehow that just didn't do it for me. Out came the craft paints, rubber stamps and scrapbook papers and it just started coming together. Maybe it was all the years that I lived in Florida but I love all of the bright colors. It gives our house a quick summer pick me up since most of the colors that I've used are fairly neutral. What a great way to have some fun and to create a one of a kind chair for probably less than $15. I bet that guy who sold the chair for $2 wouldn't believe it now.

Even if this is not your cup of tea, hopefully it inspires you to pick up a cheap piece of furniture at a yard sale or flea market and give it a try. You might be surprised with the results and you'll have a whimsical piece that's all yours.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: