Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Restoration Begins



I don't know how much one would consider this to be a restoration as she was pretty clean when I got her home. It's not like I got her in pieces and have to put her back together but she does need a little TLC. First, I took her down to our local bike shop, Y-not Cycling and Fitness in Lexington,OH and spoke with the mechanic about what she needs to have done. She definitely needs new brakes and I'm going to have the cables changed to black. She also needs a tune-up but I think overall, he was impressed with her condition. They can't get her into the shop until next Tuesday so I brought her back home to start cleaning her. While I was there, I purchased a mahogany stained basket and we talked about putting a rack on the back. She has to be able to carry stuff since I'm going to use her for commuting and errands.

After I got her home, I began the labor of love. The chain had a ton of schmutz on it and there was a little rust. If you are worried about your manicure, I would suggest gloves because my hands took a beating on this project. Her paint has some chips but I like them. They give her character. She needed a bath and a coat of wax to try to bring some life back into the paint. She also got a cool little bell that I purchased at Paradise Garage. I'm still not done cleaning her up but she looks better already and I have all week to get it done before she goes to the shop. I probably spent more time working on her than I ever spent on a car but I don't see anything wrong with that. Do you?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Filigree said...

Good luck with this project! The bicycle looks to be in very clean condition and I hope you enjoy riding it. I will soon begin restoring a vintage green Raleigh, but I suspect it might have some problems.

One thing I love about these models is the white part at the end of the back fender. I am sure there is a name for this design feature!

Jen said...

Ok. I would totally dig the green Raleigh. What type of problems? As long as the frame and fork are good, the rest can be worked out.

Dottie said...

Gorgeous bike!!