Sunday, June 21, 2009

Vintage Bike Sighting

Last night, I spotted this sitting in a driveway;a few houses down from mine. I didn't have my camera so I couldn't get a pic. I looked at it from the street and all I could see was a black metal tag on the back of the seat. I thought it might be a Raleigh because the saddle looked like mine from a distance.

When I came home from work, it was midnight and the bike was still sitting in the driveway but I didn't want to take the picture at night. Woke up this morning and it's still outside the house. I was worried that someone would help themselves to it during the night. It's a Huffy; made to look like a Raleigh. It's in really good shape. Super clean. I wonder if it's owner wants to sell.......
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Filigree said...

Cool, I am so impressed that the bike was not stolen!

It looks like a Raleigh because in all likelihood it was made by Raleigh. In the 50s-60s Huffy imported Raleigh "Sports" models and sold them under the Huffy brand name.

Jen said...

I thought the bike would be gone in the morning but it was still there. The old Huffy bikes are pretty good. My first 10-speed was a Huffy and it's still around. I don't think the quality of Huffy is the same. I bought a Huffy beach cruiser when I lived in Florida (about 10 years ago) and it was not a good bike. I ended up giving it away.

Filigree said...

Keep in mind that Huffy was mostly a re-brander of bikes that were produced by sub-contracted manufacturers. So the quality of any given Huffy depends on the era it is from. In the late 50's and 60's, Huffy models like the one your neighbor has were made by Raleigh in Nottingham -- so the quality of those was quite good.

However, later Huffy models were made by various sub-par manufacturers, produced mostly in China and Taiwan. The 10-speeds fit into this category. By the 80's-90's, Huffy became a joke; when I was a teenager I remember it was the laughing stock of the bike world. Poor Huffy.

Jen said...

I just bought the bike. We asked the neighbor if he would sell it and he said,"yes". $30..not a bad deal. It needs new tires and some light clean-up.

Filigree said...

Haaaaaaaa haaaaa haa I love it!

Jen said...

This is becoming an addiction. I was going to stop after Agatha. Then I had road/touring bike, hybrid and commuter. What more does a girl need? Apparently, more bikes.