Monday, June 1, 2009

Vintage Hercules Bike

So here she is. The new baby. All I know is that she's a Hercules probably from the late 1950's or early 1960's. I'd love to know her true age but it really doesn't matter. She's going to be perfect for what I want her for. She needs a good cleaning then off to the shop for new brakes and a tune up. I would like to change out the brake cables to black and eventually buy a new Brooks saddle for her in brown leather and change out the grips to match. She's going to need a rack and a basket since I need to be able to carry stuff on her. I really love it and am so happy to have found her.

Taking her for a test ride.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Thom said...

Cool find! You'll find the exact age, year and month, on the rear hub. One number is the last two digits of the year it was made and the other is the month. I think you're probably right when you say 1960s. Congratulations on your new bike, and please feel free to come by my Old Bike Blog to look up how-to stuff, and I'm even usually pretty good about responding to emails if there's something specific you're stuck on. Especially anything relating to the shifting/gears/rear hub.