Monday, June 22, 2009

When Worlds Collide...

His world/My world
Today, you are finally going to be introduced to the Psycyclist, also known as my husband. The psycyclist loves all things racing. He loves the flashy euro jerseys, gaudy shoes, and has more cycling gear than I have shoes (that's a lot). He is the one that got me into cycling. My engagement present from Psycyclist was my Specialized Hybrid. Before that, I rode around our Florida town on a single speed, Huffy beach cruiser with a coaster brake. Then all of the sudden, he had me sucked into the gear too. I had to have shorts, jerseys, shoes and a road bike. The whole bit. That was before I discovered the Chic Cycling movement.

So I confess to owning the very gear that is discouraged on most of my favorite blogs. Here's the thing, I have a road bike that is for sport. When I take it to the trail, I am there to ride like hell. I put on my gear and pretend that I am riding in the Tour de France. I clip in and go. I can, however, distinguish between riding for sport and riding pretty. I love them both.

The psycyclist is having a little more trouble embracing both worlds. Even when commuting or taking a leisurely ride, he rides like a racer. He can't seem to just slow down and enjoy the scenery. He's trying but I think it's going to take a little work.

Last night, we rode to my parents for a Father's Day cook-out. I took Agatha since we had to carry food with us. Psycho, oh I mean Psycyclist, rode his new Fuji mountain bike that is going to be his winter commuter. He wanted to test it out. I was riding at a slow steady pace, but the poor Psycyclist was chomping at the bit, so to speak, to bomb over there at top speed.

I wonder if it's a guy thing since one of my girlfriends is engaged to a cyclist and he moved in with all of his gear, too. I've been trying to get her to start riding but she was a little put off thinking that she needed all of this "stuff". I told her that all she needs is a bike and now she might be willing to give it a try.

So how do you get a lycra wearing cycling geek to embrace the slow lane? I don't know. But when we got home last night, the Psycyclist said, " I wish I could ride like you".
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Darcy said...

Hi Jen,

I raised my 21 year old son on leisurely bike rides along scenic bike trails but he never really seemed to enjoy cycling much until he got a road bike and made riding all about getting from point A to point B the fastest possible. He loves to quote his mileage and how he sometimes passes cars when he is pushing 30-35 mph.

I think this speed thing has something to do with age and that as my son gets older he may want to slow down a bit and appreciate what he is zooming by. Until then, the only time I can get him to slow down enough to enjoy the journey is when he agrees to ride with me to the local coffeeshop.

Darcy

Jen said...

Darcy, Hows NYC? Have you started a new blog yet? I know...lot's of questions but I miss reading your blog.

Just so you know, they don't slow down when they get older. At least my husband hasn't. He's 51 and still thinks he's a professional cyclist riding in the Tour.

Jen

Darcy said...

Hi Jen,

Yes, I have started a new blog called www.alongthefootpath.blogspot.com but haven't done much with it yet. I figure it will be August before I can really get it up and running. In the meantime, I am enjoying reading about your adventures in biking.

Darcy