Monday, July 20, 2009

Do You Feel Guilty?

This is a pic of the groceries that I brought home on the bike yesterday. It was a heavy load for me but I kept thinking of Sara from Full Hands who rides everywhere; toting kids and everything else. She gave me to motivation to keep going. Thanks Sara and all of the rest of my fellow bloggers for all the inspiration.

Yesterday, we had to attend a party for an uncle's 60th birthday. My assignment was to bring fruit to the party. I debated...take the car or try the bike. I knew that the melons were going to make for a heavy load but what the heck. I took Agatha because she's the bike with the basket and rack but she's also the heaviest bike with the fewest gears. The thing is... at some point, I have to practice what I preach and consistently.

I have no problem taking the bike for short distances but at the slightest hint of real exertion, traffic, or weather issues. I hop in my car and off I go. Sure, it helps cut down on car usage and I purchase carbon offsets for my car but I feel like a hypocrite. I know I shouldn't feel guilty about it since I knew it would be nearly impossible to go completely car- free in this location but I do. So I'm going to ask the question...am I the only one who feels this way?

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Filigree said...

It is very important to me that my bicycle use is always a pleasant and desire-induced experience and not a guilt-induced experience. As I get more and more comfortable with cycling, the circumstances in which I do it will naturally increase. But then again, I am not out to promote any cause, and I did not make it a goal for myself to cycle everywhere at all times. It really all depends on one's personal goals, choices and attitudes.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Watermelon! You had to drive. What if they dropped?